Thursday, June 18, 2009

Importance of Technology in the Classroom


After having watched the “Pay Attention” video, I realize I very rarely encounter the useful use of technology in the classroom. When I was in grade school, the only technology being used was videos. I still remember the level of excitement getting elevated when the teacher would wheel that monstrous television and VCR into class. This memory proves that students crave technology in the classroom; even if it is very rudimentary!

Even at the university level, professors seldom use technology of any kind. I am a very visual learner (or at least I thought I was until I did the Memletic Style Quiz … Ha!); therefore, I need some visual support. For this reason, I enjoy lectures supported with PowerPoint or even slides. Nevertheless, I now realize that there are so many other ways to present a lecture visually involving technology.

I have to agree with the video’s main point: It is important to ENGAGE students! I feel technology is not the only way to accomplish this; but it is definitely one very real way to. Podcasts, Cell Phones, Computers and Smart Boards are just a few ways to get students actively involved in learning. When you’re having fun, you don’t even realize you are learning; and most students have fun with technology!

As a future teacher, I see the potential that involving technology in my classroom will have. As a result I am eager to begin engaging my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment